Whether you will be new to South Hill or you'll be returning for another year, please pay close attention to the important move-in instructions and information below.
Designated Arrival Day
SATURDAY, AUGUST 25, 2012 from 8am to 8pm.
Unloading Parking Permit
What if I can't arrive on my assigned move-in day?
In order to ease traffic congestion, if you are unable to move-in between 8am and 8pm on your designated day, you have several options:
- You may choose to move-in from 6pm to 8pm on Sunday, August 26 using the same unloading zone indicated below.
- You may move-in after 8pm on Saturday, August 25 or after 8pm on Sunday, August 26. Please keep in mind that if you move-in during these times your designated unloading zone will be unavailable and you will need to park and unload from parking lots or from a small number of designated unloading spaces located in front of Annapolis Hall.
- You are also welcome to return to campus between the hours of 8am and 8pm on Monday, August 27 and use the same designated unloading zone indicated below. You may move-in after 8pm on Monday, however, your designated unloading zone will not be available.
We appreciate your assistance with move-in. By spreading students' arrivals over a several day period we hope that everyone's move-in experience will be a smooth and positive one.
- When you reach your designated unloading zone on campus, display your unloading permit on the dashboard of your vehicle.
- Plan to have at least two people available to assist you in unloading your vehicle and moving in to your hall, beginning at the moment that you arrive at your designated unloading zone.
- Bring a hand-truck or dolly to assist you in moving belongings from unloading zones to your room. (This will save you time waiting for one of our limited number of carts to become available.)
- Consider boxing or securely bagging your items and labeling them with your name and room assignment.
When you arrive to campus
- Go directly and immediately to your assigned unloading zone.
- Drop your belongings in the designated unloading zone area and leave a friend or family member with your belongings. We ask that you spend no more than a total of 10-15 minutes in this area before your vehicle is moved.
- Go to the Annapolis Hall Service Desk to check-in and receive your room keys and room inspection form.
- Have a third person move your car to long-term parking in the Mowatt Lane Garage (during your move-in day, you will be able to park in the Mowatt Lane Garage for up to 3 hours free-of-charge).
Your Designated Unloading Zone(s)
Your vehicle may enter the sidewalk using the gate in front of Annapolis Hall. Turn left and drive past Harford and Frederick Halls. Follow the walkway between Allegany and Washington Halls. Howard Hall will be on your right, at the end of the walkway and just past Washington Hall. Exit along Lehigh Road facing the Mowatt Lane Garage and South Campus Commons Building #1.
In order to take advantage of designated unloading zones, you must have at least one other person with you to watch your belongings while you move your vehicle out of the unloading zone and to long-term parking in the Mowatt Lane Garage.
The nearest long-term available parking during move-in days is in the Mowatt Lane Garage; unloading zones are meant for immediate dropping of belongings only. Vehicles left unattended or parked in unloading zones or fire lanes will be subject to aggressive ticketing and/or towing!
A limited number of move-in carts will be available on campus to assist you. If possible, we advise you to bring your own hand-truck, cart, or dolly to assist in moving your belongings.
If you have any special needs related to your move-in, please contact the South Campus Community Office at (301) 314-7484 as soon as possible.
Please drive carefully and use extreme caution when you arrive on campus. Move-in periods are high vehicular and pedestrian traffic times. Use care and pay special attention to your surroundings.
We are excited to welcome you to the South Hill Community! If you have questions or if we can be of any assistance, please feel free to call us at the Resident Life South Campus Community Office at (301) 314-7484.