Fall 2013 Move-In
10 Things To Do Before Move-in Day
- Consult our policies you should know before moving in and our Community Living Handbook.
- Make sure your meningitis and other required vaccination information has been submitted to the University Health Center.
- Check your family's homeowner's or apartment dweller's insurance policy to make sure valuables you bring to campus will be covered.
- Belongings and online purchases shipped by a recognized carrier (USPS, FedEx, UPS, DHL) must arrive at your check-in desk only after you have arrived for move-in, due to limited holding space. Make sure you arrive before your deliveries do, then please claim them the same day they arrive!
- Make sure any laptop or personal computer you own or buy meets the University's hardware recommendations and purchase an Ethernet cable no longer than 14 feet.
- Review our Items to Bring page for checklists of items you can and cannot bring to your room.
- After learning your room assignment, login to view your housing status.
- After learning your roommate's name(s), call your roommate(s) and try to talk several times before move-in day. Share academic plans, common interests, and what each of you will contribute to your room's set-up. If possible, arrange to meet for a meal or a movie, so you can get to know one another better.
- Most students bring too much stuff. The best advice we've heard is to set out everything you want to bring...then pack and bring one-half the total.
- Share your mailing address and phone number with family and friends. Mail should be addressed to you in the following manner:
Room Number, Name of Residence Hall
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742